About the Role
Growsari is hiring a Lead UX/UI designer to help us build our design function from the ground up and shape the future of Sari Sari stores in the Philippines.
What is Growsari?
Sari Sari stores are the largest retail channel and source of employment in the country, yet the average store owner barely makes ends meet. This is a disconnect that we want to change.
Our teams help stores digitally procure goods for their stores at better prices and free delivery. We then use that same infrastructure to offer hundreds of new ways for stores to earn, such as upgrading them to bills payment and wallet top up points, e-commerce drop-offs, wi-fi hotspots and even ATMs for their communities.
Today now marks 5 years in operation. From doing the first deliveries in our own cars, we are now the market leaders in our space, and have assembled an amazing team of alumni from Uber, Boston Consulting Group, Unilever, P&G, Pay Maya, GCash… and even ex Sari Sari store owners.
What is Our Design Challenge?
We solve problems for Sari Sari store owners, with the goal to make each peso in their pocket go further. What makes it interesting is that all store owners interact with us digitally, but for many of them it could be their first time using e-commerce, or even using a smartphone at all.
Running a store also has unique pressures. The order volumes, frequencies and other service design aspects of the experience are very different from a typical e-commerce transaction.
This adds up to unique design challenges that require interesting approaches to solve them and just replicating what the other big superapp, e-commerce or wallet players won’t cut it!
Who We Are Looking For?
- Your will ensure quality of design execution: You will be the design lead on some of our mission critical projects, and ensure high quality of design thinking and execution
- You will coach our Junior Designers: You will need to setup and coach the team of junior designs that’s going to solve these design challenges with you
- You will help craft our design system: You will help us develop design systems that will help us scale better execution across our product, engineering, and design teams
- You will cultivate design thinking in the organization You will work with the Head of Product to inject a direction of design thinking into the projects, processes, and testing within the teams
- You have a toolbox of skills: You have some previous experiences across user research (including quantitative research and analysis), interaction design, information architecture, copywriting, visual design, service design, design systems and prototyping.
- You have worked within broader teams: You will work closely with UX research, product, engineering and data colleagues, so you should know how to work within a broader team to solve design problems
- You want to empower the underserved: You are driven by helping to empower our store owners, and have a clear vision and ideas of how design can help do that
- Experience in gaming or social UX/UI design: While not a deal-breaker, we have some big ideas around moving our store owner experience from transactional-focused to more fun and social. Any relevant experience in these areas will be a plus
- Our current workflow: We are fans of Figma, Maze, Miro and a few other tools throughout the design process. However we are happy for you suggest any other tools that you feel will do the best job and scale
What Can You Expect From Us?
- A melting pot of different industries: There are not many other companies where you get a unique combination of fintech, e-commerce, and social impact
- A diverse team: You will hear accents from all corners of the Philippines as well as the rest of SouthEast Asia, Africa, India and North America
- A Philippines first approach: We build everything in house, from the ground up. No waiting on the regional prioritization and resourcing that you often experience in other big regional tech companies in the Philippines
- Freedom on how you want to work: Your choice on preferred software and when you come into office. As long as you deliver results, we don’t care about the time card or when you want to take leave
- A buddy on your first day: To get you up to speed and introduced to the broader team